Thursday, March 3, 2011

Catastrophic frame FAIL

There you go:
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
What happened? We where riding a fast, but easy descend with two small jumps. Fun section, and we actually rode it over and over for more than an hour, then suddenly I heard this nasty *CRACK*, and my frame just collapsed under me. The shock eyelet had given in, and got torn completely off the frame. This frame is dead.

What about warranty? You can say alot about Specialized, but I have a hard time saying anything bad about their warranty. They had me covered 2 times with the frame, and 2 times with my Specialized e150 fork. Its allways been a no-bull shit approach. And so it was this time as well, they gave me the new revised Enduro S-Works platform. Shock eyelets are positioned in a completely different way, putting less stress on the frame, way better than the old frame imo, and I have a hard time imagining that this could happen to the newer frame.

Yearh, you can call this a pretty cool warranty: If a frame ever was sexy, this would be it.
(click to enlarge)

What now? I really saw this is as a hint for me to go try something different, so im all over that. I sold the warranty frame, and began to think about what other frame to get. I wanted something with a different suspension type, dont get me wrong, I like the horst link, but I just wanted something new (no single-pivot tho'). Also wanted a more versatile frame, that could be adjusted. I also wanted to have a low leverage ratio (shock-stroke, vs wheel travel). Climbing capabilities are important, so is descending. It should be bikepark compatible as well. Frame weight is not important, nor is material (carbon/alu) - function is everything. Those of you following this blog might not be surprised that I ended up going for the yet to be released Canfield Brothers 2011 ONE frame.

Just check out the specs. Insane geo, adjustability, flexibility, and more feature packed than anything else out there. This frame is way ahead of its time, and the numbers are perfect for aggressive AM, so I already have my expectations set high. The frame should be here sometime this month. Oh, did I mention it will be equipped with a 2011 Monarch Plus? : )
(click to enlarge)

2 comments:

  1. Bastard!
    ;)
    -Cant wait to see your new frame!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'looking forward to see your custou built!

    ReplyDelete