Sunday, December 26, 2010

Best and Worst of 2010

Thought idd do a roundup of whats good and bad from 2010. Or more precisely, what the WORST and BEST stuff of 2010. So without further ado:

The Best (in random order):

Wide bars
If you haven't  already, then you should go for it. I'm talking about wide bars, not wide as in a-bit wide, but im talking about 720mm + wide. Starting out with a 560mm bar, way back, I simply didn't know better. Later I got myself a 600mm, and later on a 660mm bar - that was starting to open up my eyes, but after a year of riding with that, I started to acknowledge the potential for even wider bars. So the true change came when I got myself a full 750mm, its just wow, it does so many positive things to your riding. So much so that when I recently had 660mm bars in my hands again, I immediately felt handicapped by it, and it just felt awkward. Go wide.

Leatt Brace
Ive seen more neck and back injuries than I care to admit - also with paralysis outcome. Its serious business. I could use this space to talk about the importance of hyperflexion, hyperextension or axial loading, but Ill settle with this: It does its job, it has the potential to save your life, and to keep you out of a wheel chair - with pretty much no draw-backs, this product really is a must have.

Winterberg Bikepark
Its won awards, and the hearts of bikers. The best German Bikepark there is - It won me over as well. The passion and the though-process behind every line is very evident, and a joy to ride. A real skill booster as well. I cant wait to get back for more.

The Worst (in random order):

Heavy Snow
Even though snow can have its charm at times, its mostly a pain in the ass for us. My favorite trails are locked down due to the snow, and that hinders proper riding. Skills are definitely not improved, when a thick carpet of snow hinders even basic technical treats.

Ti axles
Got one, broke one. I'm just glad it didn't happen during a landing or something else gravity oriented. Be warned.

Castrating trails
I'm all for trail grooming - dont get me wrong about that, but the castration of trails for the sake of making it more easy is just mind bugling to me. It just doesn't make sense to me - none the less its a returning trend in 2010 on some of the most popular trails here. Go ride a different trail if its too hard for you - dont dumb down an established trail because your skills lack.
Is this really necessary?:

Ok, so thats the up and downs for 2010. Feel free to submit your thoughts at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment