Saturday, April 18, 2015

Review: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2015 Performance Line 2.1"

Done testing an old nemesis.

Schwalbe is back with a revised version of the Nobby Nic tire, a hugely successfull trail tire. This is the third generation, and I guess Schwalbe would say its their best yet. Last time I had the Nobby Nic strapped on, it pretty much disintegrated, I thought it was a useless piece of shit, as pointed out in my review. For whatever reason (well I guess its because they finally admitted that the old didn't work), Schwalbe did an entire re-modeling of how the knobs are positioned....again. So have they finally nailed it?

Nobby Nic - third generation.
(click to enlarge)

26". Performance line 2.1"
Claimed weight; 515g
Actual:526g
Close enough imo.
(click to enlarge)

Current Generation3 to the left vs  Generation2 to the right.
(click to enlarge)

The knob position finally makes (more) sense, and the tire is performing at an outstanding level. I have been using it alot in the wet, conditions where Schwable tires usually fail to deliver in my experience compared to the competition. Dry performance is solid.
(click to enlarge)

Side knobs are finally pushed more out, to allow more of a channel-like distribution. I say more, because Schwalbe is not quite there yet.
(click to enlarge)

I still strongly advocate the open channel system, that Maxxis, Specialized and Michelin has done for years. The Nobby Nic is aaalmost there.
(click to enlarge)

This is a tire with a great value. It has a nice big profile, sideknobs that finally make sense, rolls okay, and is easy to setup tubeless. The grip is good, predictable and the tire itself is very lightweight.
I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised by this latest installment, Schwalbe finally nailed it the third time! And its cheap too!

(I have to stress out that this is a tire I have been testing on the rear only!)

The good:
-Great grip!
-Lightweight
-Big overall profile
-Tubeless friendly installation
-Predictable
-Works great in versatile environments
-Rolls surprisingly easy
-Great Tubeless performance
-Cheap

The Bad:
-Long term durability is unknown. I will get back regarding this.
-Tends to burp at low pressure (sub 2 bars) in a tubeless setup, more so than my former Specialized Butcher tire. I only experience this when stressing the tire sideways tho' - so take it for what it is.

Size: 2.1"
Tested on: Rear
Claimed weight: 515 gram
Actual weight: 526 gram

Score:5/6

No comments:

Post a Comment