Friday, December 6, 2013

Review: RockShox VIVID Air R2C 2014

Earlier this year I replaced my Cane Creek Double Barrel Air (CCDBA), with a 2014 Vivid AIR R2C. The Vivid Air got its fair share of attention earlier this year, when RockShox trolled everyone by saying it was for "pro-use only", and you actually had to be on their "list" to buy it. Well it was obviously just clever marketing to get people talking, and that, they did. I got the new Vivid Air, despite not being on anyone's list (not even santas's), and ive been riding it ALOT. So after 6 months of use, I decided to conclude my review. In short; this is an amazing shock.

Lets take the geek tech first, the 2014 Vivid Air R2C features: 

Counter Measure - is as Rockshox puts it: "Reduces the breakaway force of the shock to virtually zero pounds" ..and it really does.
Rapid Recovery, simplified, makes the shock rebound a bit quicker on tiny hits, maximizing ground tracking. Its a bit better explained HERE.  
(click to enlarge)

The end-stroke rebound and LS-compression adjuster has been redesigned for 2014, and are now way more easy to reach and adjust. The adjusters function well, and within the range you would want it to. (no, that's not something you can take for granted on a rear shock)
(click to enlarge)

A beginning-stroke rebound adjuster is easily accessible as well. The separation of beginning-stroke and end-stroke rebound makes it possible to have a bike that "pops" easily, but sucks up the bigger hits in a very controllable manner.
(click to enlarge)

222mm x 70mm. Without mount kits. Weight is pretty much identical to the CCDBA.
(click to enlarge)

Want to climb? descend? or just do some classic AM riding with everything in-between? No problem, this shock has that covered. The Vivids wide spectrum of use is pleasantly surprising.
(click to enlarge)

Drops, jumps - whatever, this shock will probably outperform most other air-shocks on the market. The Vivid shines when its put to use.
(click to enlarge)

The surprisingly versatile nature of this shock really speaks to me, you can set it up for whatever you want, even grinding those long climbs. Its proven reliable without a single issue during the 6 months of use, ill keep you posted if that track record continues. The fact that this shock uses its entire stroke range and gives absolute control over the rebound range is very appealing as well. The Vivid is easy to adjust, and the lack of sticktion is downright impressive, all this caters to a high score. This is the shock you want.

The Good:
- Counter Measure technology is impressive, the break away force required is even smaller than that of  FOX or CCDBA.
- Great for a pedaling setup as well.
-Absolute control of rebound throughout the entire stroke.
-Actual start, mid and end-travel use, finally Rockshox nails it!
-Easy to adjust.
-Reliable.

The Bad:
-High Speed Compression adjuster would be the icing on the cake.

Score: 5/6

25 comments:

  1. Hi, I am wondering how you compare the vivid to the ccdb - pros and cons?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would place them very close to each other regarding performance. Great beginning, mid- and end-travel control, and great level of rebound control as well. I would prefer the Vivid Air if I had to choose, due to the Counter Measure technology, the sticktion on the Vivid Air is less than the CCDBA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, do you believe for enduro racing (in canada) the vivid air would be worth the upgrade over the new rockshox monarch plus debonair?
    Thanks,
    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the chance yet to try the debonair, so I can t really comment on it. But the Vivid air would definitely be awesome for enduro racing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hoping this would fit on my cannondale moto carbon. I love to climb but love the descents better. is it suited for AM riding, climbing for the most part?

    ReplyDelete
  6. After months and months of testing I would have to conclude with a big yes! Its really good for both climbing and descending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can share with us what's the recommended setting for AM use? I can't seems to get mine right

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is your problem with the shock?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, many thanks for great review. I have vivid air rc2 on my nukeproof mega am 2012 and I think it has not been set up right. When on descents is great than on flat or climbing is very bad. loosing power quick, same time on ibis mojo or giant reign with maestro I climb 3 times faster. Most of the riders I've been talking with they blamed shock for it. What would be a good setup for it? My mega is 20", I'm 85kg, got lyrik coil 170mm at front. Thanks for advise. Sag is 25%, Regards Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There Matt

    How about a bit slower rebound?

    Also, the Nukeproof is single pivot right? I think it's generally known that a singlepivot design is inferior to a maestro/VPP design regarding climbing efficiency. Could it be the reason that you feel such a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi and thanks for reply. I will try to reduce rebound. Your're right, it is single pivot but I've tried different nuke mega builds and I have to say bikes climbs much better. Any other damper settings you could advise?

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well not really besides the rebound. Compression can do a whole lot as well, but I bet you are fully aware of that : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will test on couple of rides and notify you about the progress. Thanks a lot and all the best from Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi , I recently installed a vivid air RC2 on a Yeti 303 WC , have you got any basic settings for this frame , I have the M/L tune and weigh approx 86kg and will be using for dh only . Kind regards Colin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sag it deep (30-40%, and open up the compression) Rebound is up to your personal taste. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok , thanks for the advice Ill try it out tomorrow. and let you know how I get on . Cheers Colin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi i have a kona process 153 with pike 160mm you think a vivid air Will do good on IT ? I do 50/50 climb and descents or should i Go with rc3?

    Stevo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  19. Yeah the Vivid Air will be awesome if you ride aggressively down.

    Cheers : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the first time i read your blog and admire that you have posted on this...I really found useful.Keep updated.
    rockshox suspension tuning

    ReplyDelete