Monday, September 26, 2011

Review - Canfield Brothers ONE 2011

Bout time I post this review. I wont go large on the words here, let me keep it somewhat simple this time:

4 different travel settings, 2 different shocks lenghts: (165mm-190mm with 216x63mm shock / 177mm-203mm with 222x70mm shock).
(click to enlarge)


This is the geo for the medium. See more sizes at the Canfield Brothers website.
(click to enlarge)

According to the Canfield Brothers, this link takes 8 hours of CNC work. Check out the sturdy 20mm bearings, they should last 2-3 years according to Canfield Brothers. "Its the kind of bike where you dont have to do anything" - Chris Canfield.
(click to enlarge)

 Sturdy ISCG tabs.
(click to enlarge)

Weight without shock, size medium, in kg (thats 7.94 lbs):
(click to enlarge)

The good:

-Very good pedalling efficiency
-Feels very nimble despite its weight
-Absolute ripper when pointing it downward
-Very playfull, and skill boosting
-Feels mistake swallowing
-Versatility! Strap on a dual crown and you got yourself a capable DH bike. And it really feels like one.
-Feels strong and stiff
-Very low top tube, makes alot of room for tricks.
-Works great with Air and a Coil shock
-Full 1.5 headtube, makes it compatible with everything
-Geometry that's years ahead of time

The bad:

-way too low BB in the 165mm setting - with a 160mm fork in the front
- poorly designed dirt "pockets"
- a X12 rear axle would have been better
-You might get problems with pedal-strikes in pedally rocky tech sections if you sag the shock alot (35%+) (too low BB)

Score 5/6

AM setup. Easy to pedal uphill, lots of high speed stability, and playfull. Aggressive AM it is.
(click to enlarge)
 
DH setup. More travel while still retaining its playfull character. Its not a full-breed race-dh bike in this setup, but its great for bikeparks.
(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

Btw, the German mag called "FREERIDE" did a 2011 ONE review. They rated it with a nice 9.5 out of 10. Check it out here.

Got a comment? or a question? feel free to write in the comments section, I does not require a sign-in.

9 comments:

  1. I believe the 216mm shock is no longer an official option on the 2011 One. The BB would be ridiculously low with a short shock like that.
    You can however use a 222mm*63mm shock (some air shocks come in that size), this will not lower the BB and still give you 165/190mm travel.

    Anyhow, thanks for the review and great blog! It has provided some inspiration for my own "One", which I am putting together right now. I went with an Elka shock and a Fox40, can't wait to ride it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... oh and regarding BB height with the Fox 36 - if your fork has a 1-1/8" steerer (I assume it does since you swap it for a Boxxer in your DH setup), you could try a different headset. I'm running a Hope 1.5->1-1/8 stepdown headset in mine, it has a Zero Stack top cup, but a 13mm tall bottom cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Lelebebbel, glad you like the blog : ) Thabnks for the heads up regarding the shock and headset.

    I actually got a "Da Bomb - Da Konverter" headset, that has a tall bottom cup as well. I haven't installed it yet, as my regular trails don't pose a real problem with the low BB. In fact, I enjoy it most of the time : ) But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    thanks for your inspirations on the "The One" frame and sharing your experience through this blog. I own this frame myself too and agree with you on your rating.
    Can u tell me what kind of tune-type your VividR2C is and what kind of spring you use?
    I'm running the same damper, and I'm quiet unsure about my current setup (M/M tune with a 450spring, 95kg rider+gear, used at Bikeparks).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there

    My Vivid R2C 2011 uses a Medium rebound tune, and High compression tune with a 450 spring. Im about 83kg in full body armor.

    Btw, wrote a review of the Vivid here:

    http://all-mountain-next.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-rock-shox-vivid-rc2-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. Could you tell me how much sag on front fork are you on ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, im actually running very little sag on the front, between 5% and 10%. I ride flowy trails, so It works great here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fork are/were you running for your AM setup? I've got a Totem on order as a sort of happy medium, to truly use it as a one bike. I'll swap wheelsets and adjust the head angle for DH. Just wondering what your AM fork was, and how you dug the setup. I may eventually try a Lyrik and Fox 40 alternating setup, but Totem just made more sense as a starting point, particularly cost-wise.

    Appreciate your write-ups (here and MTBR)!

    Dakhil

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Dakhil

    Im using the Fox 36 rc2, but im not really satisfied, its way too progressive in the end stroke. You should definitely take a look at the Lyrik DH, it gets raving reviews pretty much everywhere. Glad you enjoy the blog btw : )

    ReplyDelete